Monday, December 14, 2009

The Television Media Week




I love it when people suggest random themes. I end up studying a genre I otherwise wouldn’t give a second thought. One of my readers suggested I spend a week reviewing scripts about the television media After the Carson Reeves / John August debacle, I’m going to more cautious than ever and focus on reviewing classic unproduced scripts than approaching close to recently purchased spec scripts. So what you’ll find this week is my weigh-ins on a couple classic scripts every screenwriter should know, and review of early drafts on a handful of other scripts. If I can think of any great unproduced specs that fit this theme, I’ll be sure to also include them. It’ll be a great week.

So what do I mean when I say television media…?
Film seems to reveal media in the TV as an all-invasive, ever hungry monster that won’t leave people alone. And then ultimately, the subject of the media go completely crazy under the scrutiny. It opens up a whole range of films: Truman Show, Network, Quiz Show, Bamboozled, Serial Mom, Natural Born Killers are the films I could think up off the top of my head. Network being much earlier and different in that the media was still depicted as all controlling. Besides that, I don’t have much of an idea about genre conventions or what the typical plot elements are. So this’ll be pretty informative all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment